algebraicthunk.net/ blog/ entry/ Did I just do that?

So, back around the beginning of August, I decided that since I was temporarily (hopefully :) ) unemployed anyway and I wasn't in immediate financial peril, I'd spend some weeks working on aptitude full-time, so I could shift some of the ideas in the "things I'd like to do but that take too much effort" pile into the "things I've done" pile. I had already done a bit of work right around graduation, and another good chunk in June. But I didn't expect what I just discovered when I went to bring my resume up to date.

daniel@sleepingbeauty:~/stuff/txt$ darcs whatsnew
{
hunk ./resume.tex 42
-  47,000 lines of C++ code and 9000 lines of DocBook XML
-  documentation)\footnote{Statistics refer to version 0.3.2, released
-    May 1 2005.}.
+  70,000 lines of C++ code and 10,000 lines of DocBook XML
+  documentation)\footnote{Statistics refer to version 0.3.4, released
+    September 30 2005.}.
hunk ./resume.txt 26
-   47,000 lines of C++ code and 9,000 lines of DocBook XML
-   documentation -- statistics taken from version 0.3.2).
+   70,000 lines of C++ code and 10,000 lines of DocBook XML
+   documentation -- statistics taken from version 0.3.4).
}

Now, a certain amount of that was adding GPL copyright boilerplate to files that lacked it. A lot of files already had it, but still at 20 lines per file for 282 files, that comes to about 5,000 lines. Some more can be credited to whitespace and ritualistic C++ syntax that was introduced when I broke some of the more horrible and grotty pieces of source into bite-sized pieces. Still, that's a lot of lines of bloa^H^H^H^Hcode.

[UPDATE] and I apparently hit "publish" instead of "save as draft". Whoops! Enjoy, world :-)

Comment by Zeno at 3:03 AM:

You could use sloccount instead of wc -l or something similar. Sloccount gives you a more realistic image of how many lines of actual code are in a program.

regards, Zeno